- Bell Schedule 2021-22
- Bell Schedule 2022-23
- SHARK NEWS School Newsletter
- Parent Resources
- School Handbook
- Nutrition Services (Lunch Menu)
- After School Programs
- Attendance Handbook
- Spirit Wear
- Parking Lot Safety
- Parent Conference Scheduler
- Walker Creek
- Comprehensive Sexual Education Information
6th Grade Science Camp
The Marin County Outdoor School The Marin County Outdoor School at Walker Creek Ranch is dedicated to helping elementary school teachers satisfy their educational goals through quality instruction within a special learning environment that inspires and motivates students to achieve an appreciation of the natural world. Using principles of thematic instruction, the Outdoor School enhances a student's critical thinking, processing, and socialization skills.
This year's camp is April 14-16, 2021 at WALKER CREEK RANCH in Petaluma, and the cost is TBD per student. All camp tuition donations are due by TBD. Send in checks payable to Sierra Elementary or you can pay with PayPal or credit card with this LINK.
Click HERE for more information about Walker Creek Ranch Outdoor School.
There will be an INFORMATIONAL MEETING for students and parents TBD in Sierra's multipurpose room.
Registration Packet 2021
Informational Meeting Presentation (click on Title to view video)
Teachers' Shared Photos are available on iCloud for a limited time only:
Ms. Hildebrand's Album: Walker Creek 2019
Mrs. Dodge's Album: Walker Creek 2019 Dodge
Mr. Patten's Album: Walker Creek 2019
**photos will be removed from iCloud sharing in the future, so make sure you get 'em while you can!
- Walker Creek Packet 2021 - required for all participants. Must be signed by a physician if ANY medications are to be administered, including over-the-counter (OTC) medications, such as pain relievers or antihistamines.
- The packet includes:
- RUSD Field Trip Medical Authorization Form for Prescription and Over-the-Counter (OTC) Medicine- parent & physician signatures if you are giving consent to administer OTC medication
- Marin County Outdoor School Registration and Health Form- parent signatures needed
- Marin County Outdoor School Authorization to Administer Medication- parent and physician signatures
- Dietary Information- only if applicable
- Behavioral Contract - required for all parent & student signatures
- Walker Creek Ranch Souvenir Order Form - only if interested
- Travel Emergency Care- required of all students with parent signature
- Parent Information packet - This packet will provide some basic information about the Walker Creek Ranch program to assist you in preparing for the Outdoor School experience.
- Walker Creek Schedule and Packing List - This is an overview of the schedule of a typical day at the Outdoor School and list of things to bring.
- Link to Walker Creek Presentation
- Video about the Walker Creek Ranch Trip
Some questions raised by parents in prior years:
- Bed bugs- We did have an incident of bed bugs in the past and camp has replaced beds since then. The camp works hard to make sure the facilities are clean and healthy for the campers.
- Special diets- The camp does a great job meeting all dietary needs: gluten free, dairy free, vegan, vegetarian, nut free, egg free, beef free, pork free, whatever your child's need may be. It is a school facility sensitive to the needs of ALL kids. It is also a peanut free facility.
- Rain or shine- Yes, we go even if it is raining. Good quality rain gear can make it more fun and enjoyable.
- What if my kid is sick and can't make the bus? No worries. We don't want sick kids on the bus. Just let your child's teacher know and bring your child to camp when he/she is feeling better. (No fever for at least 24 hours) PLEASE DO NOT SEND A SICK KID TO CAMP.
- What if my kid gets sick at camp? We do everything we can to keep kids at camp but sometimes kids do get sick while at camp. If this happens, you will be notified immediately and required to come to camp and pick up your child immediately. We strive to make your child comfortable, but there is no place like home in this situation.
- Camp is expensive, we just can't afford to send our child…We understand. Please talk to your child's teacher directly. Financial assistance is available and we will be happy to help start the process. All assistance requests must be communicated 60 days before the trip.
- Why not go to a cheaper camp? The old adage, "you get what you pay for" comes to mind. Cost is one of the factors we consider, but student safety and educational value are important as well.
- My child takes medication, what is the procedure? No worries, many kids take either prescription or over the counter medications. You will receive a medication form for your child's pediatrician to sign authorizing a teacher or camp staff member to administer the medication. We cannot give any medication, not even a vitamin, without a doctor's order/signature on the form. All medications will need to be submitted to the office, 1 week prior to our trip, in the original package, not expired, for the nurse to organize for our trip.
- My child is nervous about the showers, what is the procedure? Kids will go to the showers with their cabin group at an assigned time. Each child gets a private shower area. They can opt to wear a swimsuit if they will be more comfortable and shower shoes (flip flops) are recommended.
- Departure and return times…We plan to depart SE at 7:45 AM on 04/14/20. Our return time is completely dependent on traffic/weather but we usually return between 2:30 and 3:30. I will contact the office from the road to provide updates on our return time. Please make arrangements to pick up your child immediately upon our return. The teachers will be tired and will want to go home and sleep.
Have a different question? Please contact me directly so I can answer it and post it here.
About Walker Creek Ranch Walker Creek Ranch is located on 1,741 acres in pristine West Marin County about one hour north of the Golden Gate Bridge and is blessed with diverse habitat and an abundance of wildlife. It is an ideal venue for an outdoor school, conference center and summer camp. Every Fall and Winter the Outdoor School hosts an Open House for parents and teachers, and PTA members at Walker Creek Ranch. These are great opportunities to learn more about the program and site in preparation for your student's visit. Please call us at (415) 491-6602 for further information. Fall open house at Walker Creek Ranch for Teachers and Parents - Check Walker Creek website for details Directions to Walker Creek. Walker Creek Ranch is located at 1700 Marshall-Petaluma Road, about 14 miles South West of Petaluma, and 14 miles North West of Novato. If you are coming from along the coast, the Ranch is about five miles East of the town of Marshall, a small town on Tomales Bay. Walker Creek Ranch Site MapView Google Map